MAY 18th at Northside Baptist Church

Monday, February 13, 2012

Salt of the earth.



This past summer a man named Louie Giglio told the story of Ghana Rock at a summer camp. Thousands of high school students heard the way God used nine teenagers to help end child slavery. Louie saw what God did through Ghana Rock and how sharing it would only enhance God’s greatness and inspire people to do something they perceive as hard to make a difference. 
The ironic thing about this is that talking about Ghana Rock makes me uncomfortable. The story of Ghana Rock is so much of who I am, that I’m afraid by telling it I’m coming across as arrogant or self glorifying. What I never realized is maybe by not sharing this story, I’m doing exactly what I was trying to not do. Putting too much emphasis on me, and not enough on the amazing thing God did. I didn’t understand that if I told the story with my heart, in the right place, it had no possibility of coming off as anything except how it was meant to; glorifying God
A few weeks ago I experienced how Ghana Rock’s story inspired a complete stranger. I had the opportunity to go to the Passion Conference this year. Passion focused on one cause; freedom. Their goal was to be part of the abolition of the 27 million slaves in the world. With over 44,000 college students there, it seemed like a miracle to even find the group you came with. Some how in the sea of people I managed to meet a girl who came to Passion because she heard Louie speak at a summer camp. She said he talked about a girl who planned a concert to raise money to end child slavery (seriously, this happened). She was so inspired by the story she wanted to come to Passion and be part of the freedom movement. I mean, honestly, could anything be more humbling than God using this story to begin a new one? 
I’m certain God could use the story of Ghana Rock for His glory despite if I share it or not. In fact, He already has.The question I’m asking myself though, is if we are supposed to bring glory to God... why am I not sharing it? A few weeks ago our Pastor talked about being salt and light from Matthew 5:13-16. He talked about how salt does nothing if it’s still in the salt shaker. Tim Keller put it this way, “I don’t know about you, but I can’t stand corn on the cob without salt on it. When I have eaten a piece of corn on the cob that I really like, I put it down, and what do I say? ‘That was great salt.’ No, I say, ‘That was great corn on the cob.’ Why? Because the job of the salt is not to make you think how great the salt is, but how great the thing is with which it’s involved.” 
The point of me tell the story of Ghana Rock isn’t so people think how great I am, but they think how great my God is. 

So, I will... 

Declare His glory among the nations, His marvelous works among all peoples. 1 Chronicles 16: 24 
-Madi 

No comments:

Post a Comment