MAY 18th at Northside Baptist Church

Monday, February 18, 2013

My Legacy

What is the legacy that you want to leave? When people walk by your tombstone, what will people read or remember about you? My grandfather recently passed away and after attending his funeral, I have been questioning the legacy that I want to leave. Death can be sudden and is according to God's divine plan. Sometimes, as humans, we become too caught up in the material culture that surrounds us that we forget our true calling in life. In Exodus 9:16, the Lord clearly explains the legacy we should leave, "I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." The name of the Lord is the legacy awaiting us, if we so chose.
We all experience doubts in our faith that often strengthen our relationship with God. Sometimes, we question our position in a situation. However, worry is unnecessary because God has raised us up for this very purpose, whatever it may be. That purpose can range from attending school and being a beacon of light for fellow students or praying over your meal while out in a public restaurant. God has an absolute plan "for every activity under the heavens" (Ecclesiastes 3:1). As a competitive swimmer, I realize that every stroke I take is a blessing and I am incredibly grateful for my ability in this sport. Although I may win an award or swim an incredible race, it all means nothing without God and He deserves all the glory. After I pass away, my accolades will have absolutely no importance. However, my faith in God and His Son will give me eternal life in heaven. I may never become an Olympic swimmer or be a worldwide icon, but I know that my treasures are in heaven. When people remember Lauren Blakey, I do not want them to remember that I was a swimmer or even a part of Ghana Rock. Instead, I desire God's name to be at the forefront of their lips.
~Lauren Blakey

No comments:

Post a Comment